Date:      Sun, 1 Feb 2015 17:50:47 +1100 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Parv <parv@pair.com>
Cc:        arnab bhowmick <arnabbhowmick111@gmail.com>, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Buying a laptop - used

On Sat, 31 Jan 2015 04:51:30 -1000, Parv wrote:
 > in message
 > <CAGk=YH4TpZULve4SzRhCuhOt8766mk-L-+fd=aaqD5M0=8U3Pw@mail.gmail.com>,
 > wrote arnab bhowmick thusly...
 > >
 > > Hi friends i want to buy a laptop. please recommend some brand
 > > that can easily install freebsd . please suggest me
 > > something(brand) as my old laptop stopped working for shortcircuit
 > > and i am in great trouble.
 >
 > If you are not averse to buying a used 'puter ...
 >
 > I am currently using a used Lenovo Thinkpad X200 with FreeBSD 8. I
 > have not tried using or setting at all any suspend-resume setting. A
 > 9-celll battery ([0], "47++", apparently bought new about 2-3 years
 > ago along with the 'puter) lasts for 4.5 hours.

I bought a used X200 a year ago without AC adaptor or battery, so bought
it a new 6-cell battery (47+) and 65W P/S (about AU$150).  Using powerd
- but not p4tcc or acpi_throttle - it runs almost 6 hours on battery
just idling and over 4 hours with moderate use, so your 9-cell battery
may be getting a bit old, and/or you haven't optimised power usage?

After a problem that affected many/most modern T and X series Lenovos
regarding losing external USB ports on resume was resolved last year,
suspend and resume work flawlesly; they're really nice little machines.

Arnab may not wish to buy anything as old as an X200 (C.2008), but could
likely pick up an X210/220/230, or the larger T410/420/430 models at a
good price.  Very latest models may still have some issues with video?

cheers, Ian