Date:      Wed, 14 Jul 1999 13:11:33 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, tech-userlevel@netbsd.org
Subject:   Re: Swap overcommit (was Re: Replacement for grep(1) (part 2))

At 12:00 PM -0400 7/14/99, Brian F. Feldman wrote:
> So why don't we do something else: when we're down to a certain
> amount of backing store, start collecting statistics. When we're
> out, we check the statistics and find what process has been
> allocating most of it. We kill that process.

Not that I'm really commenting on the above idea (although it does
sound fine to me), this reminds me about an earlier thread.  Is there
any interest in us (BSD's) having a SIGDANGER signal like some other
OS's do?  That way, key processes (like sshd) could at least make it
less likely that THEY are the process which is killed.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute