Date:      Tue, 4 Jan 2000 14:33:54 +0600 (NOVT)
From:      "Alexey N. Dokuchaev" <danfe@inet.ssc.nsu.ru>
To:        Adam <bsdx@looksharp.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RIDE for BSD

Hi!

> Would you mind explaining what "nifty Alt/Shift-Fx's, seeing your output,
> etc...." means so the non linux-oriented can know what you are looking
> for?

:-))))  Well, it's not about being linux oriented (personnaly I prefer
fBSD *much* better) but being Borland IDE oriented.  Those who worked with
Borland IDE should understand me ;-)  You compile and run programs by
pressing Ctrl-F9, and when you switched back to IDE, you can press Alt-F5
to see your output.

All these hotkeys work in RHIDE under Linux.  What makes me think that
they might not work under FreeBSD (it's just my assumptions, I've never
tried RHIDE under FreeBSD, since my friend, linux freak, told me that
original place where he dloaded it didn't have FreeBSD version, and I
didn't bother to seek further) is that Midnight Commander, another popular
program, has some troubles running under FreeBSD.  Just to name a few:

1. Ctrl-O doesn't work (that's what bothers me most).  I've contacted one
of the authors of midc, and he told me that midnight is too linuxish in
some places.  That's what 'man midc' or ('man mc' under Linux)

       C-o, When the program is being run in  the  Linux  or  SCO
       console  or under an xterm, it will show you the output of
       the previous command.  When ran on the Linux console,  the
       Midnight  Commander  uses an external program (cons.saver)
       to handle saving  and  restoring  of  information  on  the
       screen.

Hmm.  First of all, I've read that standard console driver resembles SCO
console (somewhere in handbook).  So, I expect midc to resotre my screen
under FreeBSD too.  Oddly enough, midc author told me that midc team was
unable (?) to write cons.saver program for FreeBSD, hence no cool C-o
feature :-(

2. In mcedit, I can continue searching in file with M-F7 (Alt-F7).  Well,
for some weird reason, no such feature in midc under FBSD.

----

So, I based on all the above, I expect Alt-F5 not to work because no
'cons.saver' for fBSD and meta-keys seem to to work either.

Probably improving terminal would be one of the things Fbsd might consider
for future releases?

And one more thing: until I wait for cool FreeBSD native terminal support,
I consider copying linux-terminal descrition for my linux box termcap. Did
anyone do anything like this before?  What problems/pitfalls should I
encounter?

Any ideas?

If needed, ask more ?s :-)

./danfe