Date:      Thu, 7 Feb 2002 10:47:41 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
To:        Joe Kelsey <joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gcc3.x issues

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 09:40:31AM -0800, Joe Kelsey wrote:
> David O'Brien writes:
>  > On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 05:47:07PM -0800, Joe Kelsey wrote:
>  > > What is so hard about allowing someone to specify the list of frontends
>  > > to provide at system build time?  I thought that gcc was supposed to be
>  > > a modular compiler system, and that all we are asking for is the ability
>  > > to add to the default front ends, along with the default support
>  > > libraries, in the default places.
>  >
>  > Uh Joe... WhereTF is your patch to do this?
>  > My or your MTA seems to have deleted it.
>
> This is the atypical, smug, "I'm a committer and your're not" attitude
> that permeates so much of the upper echelons of the FreeBSD team.

No it is not.  If you were a committer you would get the same answer from
me.  You are expecting me (or someone else) to go to a lot of trouble to
do something.  Yet it seems you have not investigated how much work it
would take.

So this is the typical:

    I don't see the need for this and do not want to do the work needed
    to do this.  However, you are free to do the desired work yourself
    and also show everyone else it can be done (and maybe easily done).

> It really makes me sick that people seem to prefer to throw out useless
> comments like this instead of giving actual answers to valide
> questions.

I have given answers in other emails.  Now it is your turn.

> I believe that Terry has already pointed out several of the places in
> the Makefile system that prevent anyone from reinstalling gcc over the
> top of the standard one.  His comments were helpful and succinct.

Helpful?  I do not think so -- because doing that is VERY MUCH NOT
SUPPORTED, nor something we really want people doing because many of know
all the pairals(sp?) that will come of it.  This is not only a
FreeBSD-thing.  Linux systems do not support you taking any random C
compiler (or even GCC) and compiling a working Linux kernel with it.

If you have a need for a compiler different than the one bundled with
your Linux distribution, you are expected to install it in /usr/local (or
your favorite non-/usr/bin place).

> David has made it quite clear to me in the past that he is absolutely
> not interested in anyone else ever touching the gcc port in the base
> system.  I have no desire to do anything when faced with such an
> attitude.
>
> This is a discussion of general principles.  After settling the debate,
> *then* it is appropriate to ask if anyone would like to work on the
> issues.  Then, I may or may not try to generate patches.
>
> Thanks for your helpful and pleasant comments David.

And people wonder why I hate maintaining FreeBSD's GCC and have dropped
maintenance of it.  (and why many committers are feeling very burnt out by
users right now)  My current GCC 3.1 work is purely because it is needed
for work I am interested in doing -- porting to sparc64, StrongARM, and
AMD x86-64.

After I am done with the GCC 3.1 work I am doing, you are more than
welcomed to become a committer and maintain GCC for us all.

Or you can pay me a reasonable salary and then I'll do your every GCC
wish.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)