Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2001 14:04:22 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), mwm@mired.org (Mike Meyer), dchulhan@uwi.tt (Dale Chulhan - Home), chat@FreeBSD.ORG (chat@FreeBSD.ORG), TheTechies@onelist.com (My List), mbug@listbot.com (The Trinidad and Tobago Microsoft BackOffice Users Group)
Subject:   Re: Win NT vs UNIX ( cross fire )

> >Because they don't document how they use the field internally,
> >it's also not possible to participate as a doamin controller
> >in a Windows 2000 domain, unless you are a Windows box.
>
> I'm sure that this will be reverse-engineered.

Only if the entire ActiveDirectory architecture is reverse
engineered.  The cookie is an OID identifier (opaque, of course).

> Of course, participating in Windows 2000 domains is a bad
> idea to begin with, because of security problems.
>
> I counsel my clients to avoid file sharing in general
> and Windows file sharing in particular.

It's hard to find a shop that doesn't have at least some
Windows servers.  Because of certain tools requirements,
even Whistle had NT servers around (ask Julian about it
some time when you have a beer in front of you already).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.