Date:      Sat, 8 Aug 2015 02:35:45 -0400
From:      "Chad J. Milios" <milios@ccsys.com>
To:        freebsd-cloud@freebsd.org, freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help OpenStack and bsd-cloudinit work right on 8.x - 10.2+

> On Aug 8, 2015, at 2:29 AM, Chad J. Milios <milios@ccsys.com> wrote:
>=20
> TLDR:
> Pipe name servers to resolvconf rather than write them to resolv.conf
> bsd-cloudinit needs to work properly with local resolvers e.g. unbound =
and solve other side effects
> https://github.com/pellaeon/bsd-cloudinit/pull/18
>=20
> Call for expertise:
> I need help, I fear this patch is either horribly under-thought =
because I don=E2=80=99t know the particular landscape of OpenStack or =
it=E2=80=99s perfect and a testament to the beauty of BSD unix. Are =
there corner cases I=E2=80=99m not considering? Is the contextual code =
used in a chroot somewhere that I=E2=80=99m not using, in an =E2=80=98offl=
ine' mode where we can=E2=80=99t run a pipe to this program instead of =
simple write to a file?
>=20
> Why now?:
> We need this very important fix to make it out soon, as people will be =
rolling their new 10.2 images very very soon to be committed to their =
deployment image repos in all those pesky little one off dev ops systems =
in the wild that seem to set in stone or at least something like north =
canada winter pine sap. This bug is particularly hard to update between =
major cycles and it makes a sticky messy smudge for adoption on =
otherwise smooth solid offerings with FreeBSD cloud platform so =
hopefully we can get some discussion and review and consensus on this =
pull request here and get the port updated too and everything if =
necessary so when people start getting their 10.2-RELEASEs and pulling =
the pkgs and ports tree, whatever branch that may be back ported or =
whatever, they need to get this important low level thing right about =
hooking into their cloud infrastructure from the jump.
>=20
> This fix has worked great for me but my testing and use case is =
limited and very center of road. Help this guy out he=E2=80=99s already =
testing and needs to hear what you think too. Package builders, image =
rollers and big cloud platform engineers or virtual appliance builders =
all take note of this bug and make sure your BSDs runs right in the =
cloud when you know you want to use a local validating resolver and =
think you are doing so securely with local trust and performance
>=20
> Thank you so much everyone for your time and consideration.
>=20
> Chad J. Milios
>=20

Sorry to reply again so fast but just remembered very important, chime =
in if you=E2=80=99re still running 8.4 and you like to do it on =
OpenStack because this patch needs to become more complicated to keep =
working on 8.4 and that=E2=80=99s currently beyond me. So if you don=E2=80=
=99t want to be forced onto 9.x just yet on OpenStack well then speak =
now and we=E2=80=99ll make sure it keeps working or else forever hold =
your peace.=