Date:      Thu, 6 Jun 2002 17:20:04 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@nc.rr.com>
To:        Nicholas Esborn <nick@netdot.net>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fxtv 1.04beta -- PLEASE TEST

Nicholas Esborn:
 |I've had this fxtv beta lock up my X server a couple of times now.  I can't
 |even switch to a console VTY.  The machine is still running, but I have
 |to log in from another workstation and kill the X server.  Killing fxtv
 |doesn't release the X server.
 |
 |If you can think of any actions I might take to record the state of the X
 |server when this happens, I'll send the results along.
 |
 |It does work quite nicely though.  Fast and well-synchronized.

Sorry to hear about that.  What's your setup look like
(motherboard/chipset, video card, XFree86 version, FreeBSD version)?

I'd be willing to bet this is gonna be related to DGA.  You might try
(after a "sync") running "fxtv -disableDirectV".  That tells it to stop
blasting images onto the frame buffer directly, but pass images through the
X server like a good X app.  See if that works around those lock-ups.

I'd like you to be able to run fxtv if you can.

Randall