Date:      Thu, 15 May 1997 15:13:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bryce Newall <data@ds9.abac.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   can't su to root

I accidentally deleted the original message before I could reply to it.
was wheel.  Is that set in the passwd file?  If so, that's the problem.
Your group should be whatever group was created for you when you ran
adduser to create your account (should be the same as your user ID).
E.g. mine is:

data:*:500:500:Bryce Newall,,619-458-2678:/home/data:/bin/tcsh

In /etc/group:

data:*:500:

Now, what you want to do is to add your login *name* to the end of the
wheel group line in the group file, i.e., in my case:

wheel:*:0:root,data

Once you've done that, log out and back in, and you should be able to su
to root.

*     Bryce Newall    *    IRC: Data    *    Email: data@dal.net     *
*  WWW: http://voyager.abac.com/data  *  IRC Admin, voyager.dal.net  *
*        --== Try DALnet!  Server irc.dal.net, port 7000 ==--        *
*               "Stop smirking, Number 1."  -- J.L. Picard           *
*          "I'm a doctor, not a doorstop!"  -- EMH Program, ST:FC    *