Date:      Mon, 6 May 2002 22:19:22 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Johan Huldtgren <sauron@mordor.obitus.org>
To:        Adam M Ryan <adam@powersurge.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mrtg monitoring ethernet card

On Sun, 5 May 2002, Adam M Ryan wrote:

> When I use the configmaker I don't get any errors, but when I check my mrtg
> generated files I see a huge input, 250kb.  MRTG says its monitoring rl0,
> which is my ethernet device.
>
> But using netstat -w 100 I only see an input of around 25kbs.  What could be
> causing the confusion with the input errors?  Do I have snmpd setup
> incorrectly?  Has anyone seen any problems like this?

My guess is take a look at your mrtg.cfg file. By default mrtg graphs in
bytes not bits. Also having an incorrect value for the maximum speed of
your network card will give funky looking graphs. The two lines you want
to check are:

Options[^]: bits

and

MaxBytes[localhost]: appropriate value

when I created my cfg, with configmaker, it got the MaxBytes option wrong.

HTH,

- Johan