Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 2006 05:04:45 GMT
From:      Arthur Hartwig <arthur.hartwig@nokia.com>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/100142: /dev/smb0 device not available on systems with Intel PiiX4

>Number:         100142
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       /dev/smb0 device not available on systems with Intel PiiX4
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
System configured with devices intppm, smbb and smbus.

On startup smbus1 is reported but no smbus0 is reported. There is no file /dev/smb0

In sys/pci/intpm.c intpm_attach() executes
    smbinterface = device_add_child(dev, ""intsmb", unit);

    device_probe_and_attach(smbinterface);

device_probe_and_attach() calls device_probe_child() which ends us calling intsmb_probe() twice, once when search for the best matching driver and again, because intsmb_probe() returns BUS_PROBE_DEFAULT, immediately after the comment "Call the probe method again to make sure we have the right description."

Calling intsmb_probe() twice results in creation of devices smbus0 (on the first call to intsmb_probe) and smbus1 (on the second call to intsmb_probe). The second probe call results in When intsmb_attach(0 is called, sc->smbus contains a pointer to a device structure for smbus1 and consequently smbus1 is reported in the startup.

>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
Suggested fix:
In sys/pci/intpm move
        sc->smbus=device_add_child(dev, "smbus", -1);
        if (!sc->smbus)
                return (EINVAL);    /* XXX don't know what to return else */

from intsmb_probe() to intsmb_attach()

The suggested fix mirrors more closely the code in sys/pci/viapm.c and sys/pci/amdpm.c