Date:      Sun, 3 Jan 1999 17:26:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        "Stephen J. Roznowski" <sjr@home.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why is root's crontab different?

:In tracking down the cause of my "/var/log/maillog.0: No such file
:or directory" errors from newsyslog, I "discovered" that I had both
:a root crontab entry and /etc/crontab. Both of these were running
:newsyslog at the same time and they were conflicting with each
:other.
:
:My question is why is root's crontab entry treated differently (i.e.
:a file in /etc) as opposed to just having a crontab (in /var/cron/tabs)?
:
:Thanks,
:-SR

    The original cron program had *only* /etc/crontab.  The support for it
    is a backwards compatibility throwback that we really don't need any
    more.  I don't use it on any of my boxes, even for root.   It still
    hangs around the base install because it's no-fart.  i.e. nobody wants
    to waste time farting around with the install to change it.  I suppose
    /etc/crontab might have some limited usefullness running cron jobs for
    special users that do not have real shells installed for their password
    entry, but I have never in my life come across a situation like that.

						-Matt

:with "unsubscribe freebsd-hackers" in the body of the message
:

    Matthew Dillon  Engineering, HiWay Technologies, Inc. & BEST Internet
                    Communications & God knows what else.
    <dillon@backplane.com> (Please include original email in any response)