Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 2000 14:48:35 -0800
From:      "gummibear@nettaxi.com" <gummibear@nettaxi.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   IP Address Management

Hello!

I was wondering what other sys admins do about IP Address management.  By that I mean, the way (or, which method is commonly used to apply addresses for different devices) admins apply IP addresses to machines, printers, routers, etc.  This there a certian convention used?

I'm not sure if I'm totally making myself clear on this subject.  But let's say you have a class C address block (192.168.0.0/24 for example).  Where would you start numbering things off?  At the router, server, etc?  (router = 192.168.0.1, firewall = 192.168.0.2, server = 192.168.0.3, printer = 192.168.0.3 for example).  I'm sure people don't apply addresses to machines at random, because that would be almost a nightmare to figure out what's what (unless you have DNS, or something to map it all out).

Anyways, I just wanted to know if there are any undocumented standards or conventions to the application of IP addresses.

Thanks!

Joey