Date:      Mon, 30 Aug 2004 10:48:11 +0300
From:      Petri Helenius <pete@he.iki.fi>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        freebsd-threads@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sharing mutexes

Brooks Davis wrote:

>That depends on what you mean.  You can use sysv semaphores between
>processes, but their API is problematic in some applications.
>
>Could you explain what you want to do in more detail?

I have multiple processes running threaded applications which would like
to do 64bit wide atomic arithmetic, which if I understand correctly can
only be achieved either via IPC (having a master process to do all the
stuff) or sharing a mutex somehow. And as far as I understand, mutexes
are process-local by default.

Pete