Date:      Wed, 15 Mar 2000 16:04:33 -0500 (EST)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Best NIC for FBSD (was: Buffer Problems and hangs in 4.0-CURRENT..)

<<On Wed, 15 Mar 2000 12:53:43 -0800, Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG> said:

> Do you actually have any numbers to quantify this?  There's nothing in
> the driver architecture nor any of my testing that would suggest this is
> actually the case at this point.

As of about four years ago, the relative performance of the network
interfaces was fairly clear:

1) Intel
2) DEC (now also Intel)
3) vendor not disclosed to me
4) 3Com

The reason why Intel's NIC did better in these tests was that their
PCI interfaces were comparatively very efficient.  Since every major
vendor has gone through several revs of silicon, there is some reason
to believe that quality vendors' NICs now differ only in the inherent
quality of their programming model.  (So these old results should mean
less today.)

I always specify Intel NICs today, unless I don't care about
performance (in which case I get a $20 RealTek card).  There's
probably no reason to prefer it over the current 3Com offering (for
example) except that 3Com always seems to cost more.

-GAWollman