Date:      Sat, 15 Jun 1996 15:07:50 EST
From:      "David Alderman" <dave@persprog.com>
To:        Thomas J Balfe <tbalfe@tioga.com>, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ditto 3200

> From:          Thomas J Balfe <tbalfe@tioga.com>
> Has anyone gotten it to work with the included controller, or will it
> just work with the floppy controller already in the computer?

In order for the Ditto 3200 to work at maximmum speed/capacity it
requires a floppy controller capable of much higher performance than
what is typically built onto motherboards.  The Intel/NEC chip on the
provided ISA card is evidently a faster floppy controller that can
handle the transfer speed of the drive.  This chip is faster than
even the 2.88-capable floppy controllers on most boards.  I would
love to get rid of the thing as there are several devices vying for
my limited number of ISA slots.  If you have the card accessible to
you, could you post the chip number?  It might help somebody more
knowledgable than I provide you with information.

BTW, I am NOT using a 3200 with FreeBSD (and I am truly ashamed to
tell you what I am using it with).  I wish they made it in a SCSI
version.

When philosophy conflicts with reality, choose reality.
Dave Alderman  -- dave@persprog.com