Date:      Wed, 24 Oct 2012 09:18:44 -0700
From:      "Simon J. Gerraty" <sjg@juniper.net>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bsd.own.mk - just let WITHOUT_* take precedence

On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 10:45:08 -0500, Brooks Davis writes:
>> Have you had a chance to review Simon's latest diff?
>
>Yes it's fine if the problem we want to solve is being able to set
>WITH_FOO and WITHOUT_FOO.  I'm not sure we don't really just want to let
>WITH_FOO be overridden by NO_FOO more reliably.

That can work too, except the comments in bsd.own.mk indicated a desire
to deprecate NO_* ?

Since WITH_FOO could be in the environment you cannot simply .undef it
and set WITHOUT_FOO when NO_* is seen - which is the cause of the errors.
To be consistent, you need to test for NO_* pretty much everywhere that
I was checking for WITHOUT_* - the two basically become synonymous.
Thus all the logic for setting WITHOUT_* based on NO_* should be removed?

Would that be a step forwards or backwards?