Date:      Wed, 21 Apr 1999 09:32:36 +0800 (PHT)
From:      "Francis Percival C. Favoreal" <dune@cats.edu.ph>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI problem

On Tue, 20 Apr 1999, Doug White wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Apr 1999, Francis Percival C. Favoreal wrote:
>
> > Anyone seen this error before?
> >
> > (da0:ncr0:0:0:0): Invalidating pack
> >
> > This has happened to me several times already. I am running FreeBSD
> > 3.1-RELEASE, P-350, 64MB RAM, Seagate ST36530W 6GB.
> >
> > Whenever this happens, I noticed that the SCSI HD suddenly went silent,
> > like its motor stopped spinning. Usually I tried to reboot to remedy the
> > problem.
> >
> > Also, when I switch off the server, and switch it back on after a few
> > minutes, the server never boots anymore because the SCSI HD was not
> > detected. When this happens, I noticed also that the SCSI HD is silent,
> > like its motor is not spinning.
>
> I think your disk is dying.  If they won't spin up on boot and won't
> probe, the internal diagnostics are failing.

BTW, the SCSI disk is brand new, an ST36530W (6.5GB). We finally found out
where the problem was by elimination. We tried changing the SCSI disk with
the same model, brand new. The same thing happens too. However, when we
replaced the motherboard with the same model, brand new, the problem went
away. The motherboard is a T440BX server board, with builtin SCSI
controller. Now the FreeBSD box is running smoothly. We could not say that
the entire motherboard was defective, we believe it was the SCSI builtin
controller that was busted.

--
riko