Date:      Fri, 26 Mar 1999 20:01:41 -0700
From:      Donald Wilde <dwilde1@thuntek.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is there a "how did you hear about us?" form on www.freebsd.org?

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> [We now return to our regularly scheduled productive advocacy in this list]

great! John seems to be back in human form too. He posted a great
explanation of the VM for me.

> > Would you be interested in the possibility of a standalone TCP registration
> > server?  A simple protocol could be used to create/edit/delete registrations.
> > With a simple whois style 'handle' system and basic authentication it would b
>
> I think it's more than worth trying, let's put it that way.  We'd need
> to have not just the server but a couple of "front ends" done so we
> could test it, but that's probably no biggie. Then there's also the
> 45,000 or so previous registration entries which we'd want to merge.
> Each registration record looks basically like this:
>
> <entry>
> <first>John</first>
> <last>Smith</last>
> <email>jsmith@yahoo.com</email>
> <address>123 Any street, #321</address>
> <city>Anytown</city>
> <state>USA</state>
> <zip>98765-321</zip>
> <options commerce_email="no" commerce_mail="no" announce="no" newsletter="no"></
> options>
> <version>3.1-RELEASE</version>
> </entry>

basic DB stuff. Only concern will be in keeping the db from barfing on
the incomplete records.

> It's not ideal since it contains no real "demographic information"
> other than what release they were running at the time that the
> registration form was filled out, but we do have over 45,000 of these
> guys now and should probably do something with them. :)

That ain't hay, considering as it's probably about 5% of our installed
base.

Perhaps we could use the 'handle' like a cookie and have John Polstra
add to our database when people CVSup to -STABLE? Almost every machine
has to be CVSup'd individually, that might give us a more accurate count
of the numbers.

My lights are flickering in the thunderstorm. I may disappear in the
arms of the blue flashes...

--
Donald Wilde              "Bringing the Internet to everyone!"
Wilde Media