Date:      Mon, 02 Aug 1999 13:32:53 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
Cc:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>, hackers@FreeBSD.org, committers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Mentioning RFC numbers in /etc/services

On 02 Aug 1999 13:27:44 +0200, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:

> I don't see in what way an application could break if getservbyname()
> suddenly accepted numeric port specifications. It won't ``stop working
> as intended'', it'll keep on working as it always used to, plus a
> little more.

My application limits the port numbers it'll play with based on what's
in /etc/services, since getservbyname() implies this limitation.

Administrators rely on the fact that only root can play with
/etc/services so that this silly application can't play with ports that
aren't in that file.

No getservbyname() doesn't work the way it used to, and the
administrator is shot in the foot, even though he didn't pull the
trigger.

Ciao,
Sheldon.