Date:      Tue, 18 May 2004 16:24:23 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Enrico Kern <phantom@h07.org>
To:        Scott Mitchell <scott+freebsd@fishballoon.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recommended Bluetooth dongle?

Hi,

> Can anyone recommend a USB Bluetooth dongle that works particularly well
> with FreeBSD?  The hardware notes list a few, and I've seen the EPoX and
> MSI ones mentioned on here before, but maybe there are others not listed
> yet?

one week ago i had to ask me the same question and i also read something
about EPOX. So i decided to walk in a store and buy some epox bluetooth
stick. There was one for 20m and one for 100m, and all two works fine
under FreeBSD 5.2 and 5.2.1.

The 100m Epox stick is the EPOX BT-DG02A.

> It will also (inevitably) have to work with a variety of Windows machines
> and will mostly be used for sync/modem/file exchange with a Sony-Ericsson
> T630 phone.  Everything I've looked at so far seems to support most of the
> common BT profiles, so compatibility at that end is unlikely to be a
> problem.

I have no problems at all. I use obex push for filetransfer, and serial
lines to many mobilephones, the only stupid thing is the configuration and
setup of the stick.

The obexapp and sdp suites are somewhat crappy (sometimes the ports dont
compile) or rapidly changes (im sure there was sdpd in /usr/src, but with
5.2.1 its gone...)

Greetings

Enrico