Date:      Tue, 4 Jun 1996 13:00:46 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        toor@dyson.iquest.net (John S. Dyson)
Cc:        FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD current users)
Subject:   Re: Vm fixes NG

John S. Dyson writes:

>> I had quite a few start-up crashes with Emacs as well.
>>
>> I'm currently compiling a ctm 2068 kernel. I'll post again if there
>> are any new developments.
>>
> If you have pmap.c v1.97 you have the latest.  There are a couple of
> people (including you) who are helping immensely.  Thanks for being
> patient.  The more info you can send me, the better the chance that
> I can help (and you can help me.)   If at all possible, of course a stack
> traceback is minimum (and very helpful.)  But sometimes the (p->pindex,
> p->flags, p->queue, and maybe p->object->type) are all very helpful.

I've now built a new kernel with ctm 2072 (pmap.c 1.98).  I'm still
getting dying Emacsen:

=== root@freebie (/dev/ttyp2) /usr/home/grog 1 -> emacs&
[1] 220
=== root@freebie (/dev/ttyp2) /usr/home/grog 2 -> Invalid function: []

[1]+  Exit 255                emacs
=== root@freebie (/dev/ttyp2) /usr/home/grog 2 -> emacs&
[1] 221
=== root@freebie (/dev/ttyp2) /usr/home/grog 3 -> emacs&
[2] 222
Jun  4 12:44:19 freebie /kernel: pid 221 (emacs), uid 0: exited on signal 11
[1]   Segmentation fault      (core dumped) emacs
=== root@freebie (/dev/ttyp2) /usr/home/grog 4 -> emacs&
[3] 223
[2]   Abort trap              (core dumped) emacs
Jun  4 12:44:27 freebie /kernel: pid 222 (emacs), uid 0: exited on signal 6

PID 223 started normally and has been running ever since (well, 5
minutes, but it's always been my experience that if it runs this long,
it'll continue to run).

Another point of interest: this machine has 16 MB of memory and 32 MB
swap, but lately when I build a kernel (with debug symbols) I get a
number of

Jun  4 12:27:25 freebie /kernel: swap_pager: out of swap space
Jun  4 12:27:38 freebie /kernel: swap_pager: out of swap space

I think these messages are bogus.  I can build kernels on another
machine (running -stable), with only 8 MB memory and 32 MB swap, and I
don't have any trouble.  Is there any way to monitor swap space usage?

Another point that was mentioned: options DIAGNOSTIC.  I have this in
my kernel too.  Is there any reason why this should make a difference?
Anyway, just for completeness' sake I'm building a kernel without
DIAGNOSTIC, and will report.

Greg