Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 2000 09:24:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Guolin Cheng <chenggl@yahoo.com>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        jad@alexa.com
Subject:   Re: Reserved ports too limited for amd (automount) on FreeBSD 4.1

Doug Barton,

 Thanks.

 I already did the step, changed the IPPORT_RESERVED parameter in
/usr/src/sys/netinet/in.h and recompiled it, but the problem is: it aborted
when compiling! I have to use a old kernel.

 I want to know if there is a switch/option that we can set so that amd will
not use reserved ports by default, or if there are other versions of amd that
doesn't use reserved ports by default. Thanks.

 Your know, if we change the range of reserved ports, the R-commands (rsh,
rlogin, rexec..) will run into trouble, because R-daemons can only accept
connection requests using ports between 512 and 1023!!! too terrible!

 Yours sincerely,

 Guolin Cheng

--- Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Guolin Cheng wrote:
>
> > Matt Heckaman,
> >
> >  Thanks.
> >
> >  I changed using sysctl command after FreeBSD 4.1 reboot, the problem is:
> even
> > the parameter is changed ( sysctl -w net.inet.ip.portrange.lowfirst=2023 ),
> the
> > amd still using ports <1024, since the reserved ports already was in use
> from
> > 1023! and now they will be used one by one sequentially!!! :((
>
> 	Your problem is that by definition the secure port range ends at
> 1023. You _may_ be able to get what you want by changing IPPORT_RESERVED
> in /usr/src/sys/netinet/in.h and rebuilding your world and kernel, but
> it'd be a hack of potentially dangerous proportions.
>
> Doug
> --
>         "The dead cannot be seduced."
> 		- Kai, "Lexx"