Date:      Tue, 29 Jun 1999 13:15:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        dknapp@luciamar.k12.ca.us (David Knapp)
Cc:        kline@tera.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: from 2.2.8 to 3.2 with the 4CD set...

According to David Knapp:
> search the archives for freebsd-stable, there is/was a recent thread
> there about a similar question.
> the thread is called 2.2.8->3.2 woes. - here is a helpful message from
> someone who knows more than I do

	Thanks for the pointers.  I *was* sub'd to -stable come to
	think of it;that must've gotten dropped when we had network
	problems.  ...

> Quoting Tenacious (tMind@bigfoot.com):
> > I have a 2.2.7-release now and I want to upgrade to 3.2-stable.  Anywhere I
> > can find step by step documentation?  Or if you can show me the way.
> I'd suggest the following steps:
> 1. install mergemaster from ports (/usr/ports/sysutils/mergemaster)
> 2. Read through the mergemaster man page.
> 3. print out the following "excellent" documents from the web:
>         A. http://www.ucb.crimea.ua/~ru/FreeBSD/30upgrade.html
>            (Upgrading to FreeBSD 3.0-STABLE by Ruslan Ermilov)
>         B.
> http://www.nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk/FreeBSD/make-world/make-world.html
>        ("Making the world" your own by Nik Clayton)
> 4. Get comfortable and read through the above documents
> 5. Read through /usr/src/Makefile
> 6. Relax and "get your mind right son" #:^) because
>    you're about to perform the following upgrade:
>                 2.2.7-release -> 2.2.8-stable
>                 2.2.8-stable  -> 3.2-stable
>
> When you're finished bask in the glow of a job well done ...

	Didn't know about ru's page until now; it looks good.  Like
	an extension of Nik's great documentation.

	...Almost set to drop in the 3.2 CD.  BUt before I do, I'll
	check out the -stable upgrade thread.   *gulp*

	gary