Date:      Sun, 18 Nov 2001 14:56:27 +0100 (CET)
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
Cc:        David Loszewski <stealth215@mediaone.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: harddrive error

On Sun, 18 Nov 2001, Scott Mitchell wrote:

> Absolutely.  Only use the tools provided by the drive manufacturer.
> Personally, I'd just get the thing replaced as soon as it started behaving
> badly, rather than trusting that it had been 'fixed' and having it fail
> again.

Exactly! I've used mostly Western Digital drives here and I've had very
little problems with them, but at the time one drive actually did not work
the way it was supposed to be, WD was very helpful with instantly
accepting my complaint and sending me a replacement drive within only a
few days.

If it's rather obious that the drive itself is faulty, I'd always see if
it's still under warranty and try to get it replaced before I try some
"strange" things myself, which might make the issue even worse, and in the
end probably even void the warranty (though the latter is unlikely to
happen as long as you don't open the drive, which is in all cases a bad
idea ;-)

Greetings
Nils

Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany
http://www.tisys.org * nils@tisys.org