Date:      Wed, 2 Sep 1998 17:11:11 +1000 (EST)
From:      John Birrell  <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au (David Dawes)
Cc:        joki@kuebart.stuttgart.netsurf.de, roberto@keltia.freenix.fr, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XFree86 and ELF

David Dawes wrote:
> I'm pretty sure that's why others did it that way too.  I think it is safe
> to simplify it to:
>
> #if defined(Lynx) || (defined(SYSV) || defined(SVR4)) && !defined(ACK_ASSEMBLER) || defined(__ELF__)
>
> If something does break as a consequence, we (XFree86) will deal with it.

It sounds like the changes required for XFree86 to support elf on
FreeBSD aren't a big deal. Would you prefer to just deal with the
change yourself when you get an elf system, or is this ongoing discussion
helping work out what the change should be?

We've already asked for people to give the ports crew time to work
through the elf issues. I think it's reasonable to make the same
allowance for XFree86.

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137