Date:      Sun, 13 Aug 2017 16:18:08 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        byrnejb@harte-lyne.ca
Cc:        "James B. Byrne via freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD-11 - local_unbound logging

On Sun, 13 Aug 2017 10:02:43 -0400, James B. Byrne via freebsd-questions wrote:
> I do not get any errors from unbound-checkconf and the local_unbound
> service starts but there is no logfile created; at least none where I
> expect it to be (/var/unbound/log/unbound.log).

DId you try creating the logfile itself so unbound can append
to that file (read: append to an _existing_ file)?

Try this first:

	# touch /var/unbound/log/unbound.log

and restart the service. Also check your configuration file:
You can provide an absolute path for the logfile (for example
with the path and name listed above), so the entry would be:

	logfile: "/var/unbound/log/unbound.log"

See "man 5 unbound.conf" for details.

--
Polytropon