Date:      Sat, 01 Jun 2013 08:53:59 -0700
From:      Carl Johnson <carlj@peak.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: define more partitions in freebsd

s m <sam.gh1986@gmail.com> writes:

> hello all
>
> i want to install freebsd8.2 on my system. for some reasons, i need
> partitions more than 6. my freebsd just allow me to define partitions
> from a to h, not any more.
>
> i checked FreeBSD handbook, but it doesn't say anything about defining
> more partitions.
>
> my question is: how can i define more partitions on my freebsd? (for
> example, ad3s1a, ..., ad3s1h, ad3s1i, ad3s1j, ...).
>
> any comments or hints are appreciated.
> SAM

Others have already commented that GPT labels are better, but I think
that you can have more than 8 partitions.  I remember a posting a while
back that the maximum had been increased.  You will have to experiment
if you want to do this, but gpart shows an example that uses 20
partitions:  '/sbin/gpart create -s BSD -n 20 ada0s1'.  I also don't
know that bsdlabel will handle these, so you definitely should
experiment first.
--
Carl Johnson		carlj@peak.org