Date:      Sat, 5 Oct 1996 01:09:14 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems getting Window Manager to run, X11 hangs ...

Hi !

I'm just fiddeling around with another FreeBSD-current machine since
two days. Whenever I try to start afterstep as window manager, the
machine hangs in X11 display. Plain Window Managers like twm work
perfectly.

I grabbed the newest -current sources and did a make world.

After that I installed xpm and afterstep from the ports collection.
With afterstep the console display changes to X11 and hangs, parts
of X11 (afterstep's wharf) initialization are displayed.

I even re-made XFree86 from the ports collection... No luck.

Is there a known problem with gcc 2.7.2.1, the new .weak support,
or whatelse ... it's driving me nuts ... since 2 days I don't get
a working X11 running ...

Any ideas ?!

Now I made a package of afterstep, xpm 3.4i from a 2 days older
-current machine and installed it on the machine that has the
problems... I also copied the XF86_S3 server from there ...

Well, afterstep's wharf now initializes more complete, a x11
xterm appears, I click on it, try to move it ... and again the
whole X11 screen freezes ... *sigh*

Heeelp ;-))

	Andreas ///

--