Date:      Fri, 31 Oct 1997 16:40:21 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
Cc:        bugs@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, elh@svic.com
Subject:   Re: 2.2.5 installation bug on 1gig machines

>Ed Hudson said:
>>
>> howdy.
>>
>> 	i just tried to install 2.2.5 on a 1gig
>> 	pentium pro machine and got the error
>> 	message (something like):
>>
>This is just a guess (I am normally in the guts of the
>kernel, and not involved with installs.)
>
>You'll have to limit the memory during installation
>with changing the iosiz parameter to be something
>like 32768 or somesuch.  You should be able to install
>then.

   The problem with this is that the memory is already sized before
'userconfig' is called (it needs to be that way for various reasons). This
basically means that we can't limit the memory during an install. You'll
have to physically pull out some of the memory and/or replace it with
lower density SIMMs until you've finished the installation and built a
customized kernel.

-DG

David Greenman