Date:      Tue, 13 Jan 1998 19:21:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "tien@bisnews.co.th" <tien@bisnews.co.th>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: year 2000 compliance

On Mon, 12 Jan 1998, tien@bisnews.co.th wrote:

>     I have questions regarding year 2000 compliance of FreeBSD
> version 2.1.5.  Is FreeBSD 2.1.5 year 2000 compliant?  Do you have
> any document support on your compliance status?  Where could I get
> all the information about FreeBSD year 2000 compliance?  Your
> answers are very essential to us in order to develop our systems.
> Can you please reply to us as soon as possible.

UNIX systems in general should be year 2000 OK.  UNIX/FreeBSD represent
time as seconds since Jan 1, 1970, so they are OK until they fill up a 32
bit integer, which would occur in 2038 or so if technology never advanced.
We are on the brink of 64-bit machines, though, and no doubt that the size
will increase well before there's a problem.

Most, if not all, of the system utilities do their work using this format
(time_t), so they should not be affected either.

The big problem is in user utilities.  Not everyone may know about time_t
and used 2 digit years.  You should check your user programs out; easiest
way is to build a test box, set the date to Dec 31, 1999, 11:59pm and
watch for fireworks. :) At some point you should check your server
hardware that they roll the date properly (esp. really really old stock).

Hope this helps.