Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2000 04:05:18 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Offtopic: Domain registration

From: "Raymundo M. Vega" <RaymundoVega@home.com>
> Fabio Miranda wrote:
> >
> > Hi, i'm Fabio and this is the problem i'm facing:
> >
> > on feb-08 i registered a domain in Network Solutions,
> > taking the basic program $35/per year, the domain is
> > webcaribe.net. The same day i set up my dns server and
> > i wait some days. The domain have never worked, the
> > "whois" query shows :
> >    Domain Name: WEBCARIBE.NET
> >    Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, INC.
> >    Whois Server: whois.networksolutions.com
> >    Referral URL: www.networksolutions.com
> >    Name Server: No nameserver
> >    Updated Date: 08-jun-2000
> This means that the domain is alredy registred by
> Network Solutions. i think you can not use it, but
> if you do the same query again you will get:

Actually, it means that the registrar is Network Solutions, as opposed
to one of the other registrars on the net. Depending on which version
of FreeBSD you have, the "whois" command may or may not be smart
enough to use the information contained in the above to dig the real
whois entry up for you (basically, a whois query to the whois server
run by the registrar). 4.0-RELEASE does the job properly. 3.3-RELEASE
certainly doesn't. I'm not sure about 3.4-RELEASE; I added a wrapper
to deal with this in mid december.

	<mike