Date:      Fri, 15 Nov 1996 11:21:55 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, toor@dyson.iquest.net, cskim@cslsun10.sogang.ac.kr, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: data segment

> : Any chance we can get some additional mappings defined to coincide with
> : the Microsoft mappings?  I've been trying to load (and use) some simple
> : NT drivers, and they want "pageable" (which I wouldn't expect to do
> : anything, initially anyway) and "discradable" for init, etc., etc..
> :
> : If you need a full list, I can provide it with a day or so lead time.
>
> Isn't the Microsoft NT stuff PEI format, which is basically COFF or
> ECOFF with some mutant headers and minor tweaks?  Isn't that different
> than our current a.out?  Or am I confused again.

Yeah, it's different than a.out. 8-).

I'm more concerned with having bits to represent the segment attributes
that are possible in PE (Portable Executable) format files.

Microsoft didn't formerly provide this information.  Now they hide
it.  You can download it from:

	http://www.microsoft.com/win32dev/base/pefile.htm

I am interested in handling the attribute bits:

0x00000020	Code section
0x00000040	Initialized data section
0x00000080	Uninitialized data section
0x04000000	Section cannot be cached
0x08000000	Section is not pageable
0x10000000	Section is shared
0x20000000	Executable section
0x40000000	Readable section
0x80000000	Writable section

(obviously, the first 3 are treated as mutually exclusive; the rest are
attribute bits applicable to one of the first three).

Within the context of a VM page.  Basically, segments in a loaded
image are grouped by segment indentifier, which implies a set of
attributes.

There's more documentation on this in "WinICE", where they explain the
output of the "VXD" command's "Seg" column.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.