Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 2002 07:15:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Brett D. Estrade" <estrabd@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-cluster@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: project hosting

Obviously, I'll go along with what ever the powers that be decide,and
I am no SF evangelist by any stretch, but I think you are falling into
the same elitist-type attitude towards your (and my) OS of choice and
any projects having to do with it.  Yes, SF has a lot of linux-heads
since that is who it is directed towards, but with 10's of 1000's of
project currently list, many of which are not even actively worked
upon, I doubt our project will attract the attention of those not
interested in clustering FreeBSD machines (overwhelming majority, I
would say) until a superior and legendary clustering technology
emerges from the project.

On the otherhand, a negative I see towards SF is that the project
leaders, although having a good amount of control, do not have ultimate
control of the servers themselves.  In my eyes, this would be a reason
not to use SF.  The benefit, though, is that its got most things you
would need (and yes, fluff you don't).  Whatever is decided, I think
all would agree that effort and focus should be placed on the project's
goals and objectives, not the headaches associated with setting up
your own cvs, lists, etc.

If need be though, I can provide a mirror site or cvs, too.

BTW, what is the time line as far as setting atleast something up?

Just my $0.02

Brett

 >  Sourceforge definitely has it's advantages of many minds on the
 same
 >  track (clustering.foundries.sourceforge.net), with tons of poop
 and
 >  fluff and hip linux talk being it's downside.
 >
 >  If the idea of starting small and growing appeals to the team (to
 >  Andy), I suggest perhaps no sourceforge for now.
 >
 >  If the idea of popularity, gossip, and a million people'ss
 opinions
 >  seem beneficial and appeals to the team (to Andy), sourceforge
 seems
 >  key.
 >
 >  We can always start on SF and move off, or move TO it down the
 road

=====
public BrettDEstrade(){
 this.email="estrabd(at)yahoo(dot)com";
 this.url1="http://www.brettsbsd.net/";
 this.eFax="(253)484-8755";
 this.iM ="YMsg(estrabd),ICQ(46248888),AIM(bz743)";
 this.misc ="A.M.D.G.";
}