Date:      Thu, 7 Jan 1999 20:52:50 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, dyson@iquest.net, pfgiffun@bachue.usc.unal.edu.co, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: questions/problems with vm_fault() in Stable

On Fri, 8 Jan 1999, Terry Lambert wrote:

> OK, the MFS stuff first.
>
> > :>     on a soft block.  For example, UFS/FFS was never designed to terminate
> > :>     on memory, much less swap-backed memory.  Then came along MFS and
> > :>     suddently were (and still are) all sorts of problems.
> > :
> > :I'd argue that MFS is an inappropriate use of the UFS code, since the
> > :UFS code doesn't acknowledge the idea of shrinking block-backing
> > :objects, and barely (with severe fragmentation based degradation)
> > :recognizes growing block-backing objects.
> >
> >     I have no idea what you are talking about here.
>
> I'm saying that the MFS problems you are noting are artifacts of
> the implementation, not the idea, and that if you go back to
> first principles, and correctly implement the idea, then you
> won't have those problems.

..
[snip]

MFS is just lazyness, if you want it to grow/work right, you rewrite it
instead of hacking FFS on top of it.

or you design it in such a way that it's a device that FFS is somewhat
aware of.  this way when a block is asked to be filled what really happens
is that the block passed in is put on the free block list and FFS is given
a page of the MFS to use, when FFS pushes the block back to MFS the
replaced page is put back under the vnode.

MFS then becomes a device instead of a filesystem.

although i think it violates some abstraction, does this make sense?

-Alfred