Date:      Sun, 10 Oct 2010 03:32:54 +0200
From:      Pieter de Goeje <pieter@degoeje.nl>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        "freebsd-fs@freebsd.org" <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>, Andriy Bakay <andriy@irbisnet.com>, Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>, Pete French <petefrench@ticketswitch.com>
Subject:   Re: Serious zfs slowdown when mixed with another file system (ufs/msdosfs/etc.).

On Saturday 09 October 2010 16:55:35 Andriy Bakay wrote:
> Do you know any more convenient way (except make buildword, etc.) to
> upgrade/update several boxes to STABLE on regular basis? Something like
> freebsd-update or maybe some process, tips, tricks, etc?
>
> Thanks.

Here's how I do it:
1) Build server: make buildworld && make buildkernel
2) Other servers: export / via NFS

Repeat for each other server on build server:

mount boxN:/ /mnt
make installkernel DESTDIR=/mnt -DNO_FSCHG
make installworld DESTDIR=/mnt -DNO_FSCHG
umount /mnt

Note that I use a single filesystem for / and /usr. Obviously if those are
separate filesystems more NFS exports and mount commands are necessary.
Before the first run all immutable flags need to be removed from the target
box, otherwise the install will fail (i.e. chflags -R noschg /).