Date:      Tue, 16 May 2000 10:20:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Scott Hess <scott@avantgo.com>
To:        Nathan Vidican <webmaster@wmptl.com>
Cc:        Brennan W Stehling <brennan@offwhite.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Clustering FreeBSD

On Thu, 11 May 2000, Nathan Vidican wrote:
> There are many different ways you can approach this. I'll give you my
> two suggestions, but I'd be curious as to what you do end up using?

Another option would be to get a TCP-level load balancer.  You can get
very expensive ones, or you can get a Linux box to do it for you.  It can
be a very powerful option, because you just throw a bunch of identical
machines behind it and then you can rotate machines in and out with very
little impact (other than performance of the cluster, of course).

> Secondly, you could use some sort of caching system (ie squid), to
> accelerate your httpd server(s) through the user of cache-pools.
> Although descriptively shorter, this method is much more difficult to
> implement.

Not at all!  You should be able to implement a single Squid box in http
accelerator mode in a day or so.  If your content is reasonably cachable,
that right there can leverage your performance - the Squid box quickly
serves static content without involving the Apache box, and the Apache box
is only called in for the heavy lifting.  A Squid http accelerator with an
Apache engine can easily exceed the performance of two Apache engines, if
your content is more than marginally cachable.  If your content is
extremely cachable, you could even put multiple Squid boxes in front of a
single Apache engine.

In my experience, very few website would benefit from a Squid http
accelerator using cache-pools (I assume this refers to sharing cached
items with sibling Squid servers).  This works very well when you're
caching the Internet, but usually websites only have a couple tens of Meg
of static content, so that type of scalability isn't an issue.

> Anyhow, I think you under-estimate the capabilities of a one-machine
> webserver;

The nice thing about a TCP-level load balancer is that it increases the
availability characteristics of the machines it balances to.  Taking one
machine out doesn't take the service down.

Later,
scott