Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 96 15:03:07 +0200
From:      cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de (Martin Cracauer)
To:        alk@Think.COM
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why free/net/open?

alk@Think.COM (Tony Kimball) wrote:

>I have been unable to locate any adequate description of the reasons
>for the divergence of NetBSD and FreeBSD, and again now of OpenBSD
>from NetBSD.  Can someone suggest a FAQ which addresses this issue?

Some of the *current* philosophical differences between NetBSD and
FreeBSD (these may not be the same as the reasons why the two projects
started up seperatly) can be guessed from

http://grisu.bik-gmbh.de/~cracauer/netbsd-vs-freebsd.english.html

In short, the difference is not so much what the systems try to be,
but how they work to reach these goals and what they consider to be
important and has to be done first. The usefulness of a system at a
given time depends on the user's needs, of course.

While having NetBSD and FreeBSD looks kind of useful in a number of
ways (for me), the OpenBSD split is more of a "sad thing", a matter of
personal differences. See their web page for their point of view.

For more specifc information, you are probably better off to ask
persons individually :-)

[ @think.com? Wow! ]

Martin
--