Date:      Fri, 16 May 2003 15:36:05 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Tony Chang <tychang1@uiuc.edu>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IEEE 1394 (firewire) support

On Fri, 16 May 2003, Jesse D. Guardiani wrote:

> 1.) Does FreeBSD support firewire?

Yes.  You can support for it by adding 'device firewire' and
'device sbp' to your kernel config file.  You'll need to add
some SCSI stuff too like 'device scbus' and 'device da'.

> 2.) Does FreeBSD support disk and optical drives over
> firewire, or does this require a special OS specific driver?

Yes, that's what the sbp part is.  The CD-ROM on my docking
station connects via firewire without any problems.  I've also
attached ide drives in an external firewire enclosure without
any problems (both cd-rw drives and hdds).  I was even able to
attach a mac formatted FireFly pocket hdd, I just couldn't read
any of the files because of the mac file system.

Tony

--
Tony Chang
tychang1@uiuc.edu

http://www.aypwip.org

"The highest beings of all are the ones who are willing to pay
any personal cost for the good of those who need them."
--Ender from Xenocide by Orson Scott Card