Date:      Fri, 2 Feb 2018 18:14:45 +0100
From:      David Salvisberg <dave@daverball.com>
To:        freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   Xen on FreeBSD 11.1 - Auto creating VMs on boot

Hello,

I recently switched from Debian as my Dom0 to FreeBSD to make use of ZFS
without having to rely on zfs-on-linux. The experience has been pretty good
so far, albeit a bit more limited compared to Debian obviously.

One of the things I haven't been able to figure out is /etc/xen/auto or
rather /usr/local/etc/xen/auto in FreeBSDs case. It doesn't look like Xen
on FreeBSD ships with any of the configuration options for this feature,
possibly due to lack of support for save and restore.

I don't really need save and restore but auto spawning VMs on boot would be
a nice thing to be able to do without having to write my own rc.d script or
something along those lines.

Is there a way to make use of the auto creation feature on FreeBSD Xen or
is that feature just missing entirely due to the lack of save/restore
functionality?

If there is no builtin way, I'd appreciate any recommendations for writing
my own scripts to make sure that they're only being run after Xen has been
fully initialized and is ready for xl create commands.

Best Regards

David Salvisberg