Date:      Sat, 29 Jul 95 17:26:23 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        bakul@netcom.com (Bakul Shah)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pthreads

> > > While we're on the topic of threads, is there any work on getting
> > > kernel level threads into bsd?
>
> > I think that this is a natural consequence of allowing kernel reentrancy
> > in the SMP port... the kernel becomes internally preemption-safe.
>
> I think Marty Leisner is talking about multiple threads of
> control in a single address space.  If so, this can be
> handled without kernel preemption.  AFAIK kernel preemption
> is really only required to handle realtime processes.

Well, he said "kernel level threads".  Unless you buy into the SVR4
definition, in which case a blocking operation will block the
scheduling unit instead of becoming an async operation and a thread
context switch.

The SVR4 model has some serious drawbacks; if you do blocking calls
in all your threads, you must have N kernel threads for N user
threads.

In general, there is little benefit to the SVR4 model other than
causing people to program in a more event driven way (which could
be argued) and a shared open file table and more complex signal
and exception handling requirements.  The Dynix "sfork()" interface
provides the same functionality without adding silly restrictions
on stack preallocation and scheduling quantum competition.

> BTW, nice description of `priority inversion' w.r.t.
> prioritized realtime processes on MP systems (in your other
> message about Scheduling Algorithms).

Why am I the only one who first found out about it from the IBM white
paper? Does everyone else on the planet call it "priority inversion"
instead of "priority lending"?

8-(.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu