Date:      Fri, 13 Oct 2000 03:38:52 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Chris Snell <chris@bikeworld.com>
Cc:        scottl@freebsd.org, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need Ultra160 RAID Recommendations

> We just purchased a Dell PowerEdge 4400 with their PERC3/Di controller and
> I'm using Mike Smith's driver.  Right now, I'm having trouble getting the
> OS to install on the machine--disk access locks up halfway or so through
> the install.  I don't want to blame Mike's drivers because I'm not at all
> sure that they are at fault but I'd like to hear from others about their
> successes/failures with this particular RAID controller.  Also, I'm
> interested in hearing about some alternatives to this controller, if there
> are any.

I'm aware that it's a little hard to reproduce the problem in a
controlled environment if you can't even get the install complete.   I'm
slightly at a loss for time here at the moment, or I'd be trying to
reproduce it myself.

Can you start by making sure that you're running the most recent firmware
for the controller from Dell?  Also, I've copied Scott Long, who is now
the front-line maintaining this driver.  Scott - I've got a couple folks
now that are reporting the Pablano adapters locking up under heavy load.

a) Do you have one there, or should I send you one of the two I have here?
b) Can you reproduce it on the Jalapenos?
c) Do you want to take a look at this?  I'm guessing that what's going on
   is that one (or more) commands is not getting returned by the
   controller, leaving the system wedged waiting for it.
d) Are there any known firmware issues outstanding on these controllers?

Thanks.  Sorry that I'm so lagged responding to all this at the moment. 8(