Date:      Fri, 30 Apr 1999 17:27:49 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      "Pedro J. Lobo" <pjlobo@euitt.upm.es>
To:        Robert Watson <robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Does mail.local need to be setuid-root?

On Fri, 30 Apr 1999, Robert Watson wrote:

>On Fri, 30 Apr 1999, Pedro J. Lobo wrote:
>
>> /usr/libexec/mail.local need to be setuid root? Or, alternatively, can I
>> use /usr/bin/mail as the local mailer? I also administer an alpha with
>> Tru64 Unix 4.0d and it uses /bin/mail (no setuid/setgid) as the local
>> mailer.
>
>The need to setuid for local mail delivery is necessitated by the
>placement of user-owned mailboxes in a shared directory.  Clearly, there
>are other possible arrangements that would work and not require the
>effective uid to be root during mail delivery (for example, individual
>directories, etc).  ACLs would also provide a nice solution.

In fact, mail.local tries to act as the recipient, but fails to do so. See
my response to Fernando Schapachnik.

Maybe I try cyrus later, but I need to fix this problem *now*!

Cheers,

	Pedro.

Pedro José Lobo Perea                   Tel:    +34 91 336 78 19
Centro de Cálculo                       Fax:    +34 91 331 92 29
E.U.I.T. Telecomunicación               e-mail: pjlobo@euitt.upm.es
Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
Ctra. de Valencia, Km. 7                E-28031 Madrid - España / Spain