Date:      Sun, 13 Mar 2005 05:59:28 +0000 (GMT)
From:      doug <doug@fledge.watson.org>
To:        Cheezy Vines <chisoy@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: connecting a FreeBSD-4.10 to Internet using DSL with static ip address

If your ISP does not use PPPoE it is really quite simple. I included my laptop
rc.conf just to show it plays no part:

  hostname="mneme.boltsys.com"
  moused_enable="YES"
  sshd_enable="YES"
  usbd_enable="YES"

  linux_enable="YES"
  nfs_client_enable="YES"
  nfs_server_enable="YES"
  nfs_reserved_port_only="YES"
  rpcbind_enable="YES"

I take this system around to a site using cable, dsl, my office where I connect
via a wireless network and, under duress dial-up. For that reason I boot up and
then connect. Every where except for the office that is as simple as:

  dhclient ep0

as that the antique NIC I use. Both the cable modem and the DSL modem I connect
to provide DHCP on the inside. On the outside, the cable modem seems to get a
fixed IP from its network. My DSL connection uses 192.168.0 addresses but all
you have to do is connect to the modem as a gateway. My wireless setup:

  ifconfig wi0  wep wepkey 0x...
  dhclient wi0

If your modem has a fixed IP adding

   defaultrouter="xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"
   ifconfig_nic0="inet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  netmask 255.255.255.0"
         or
   ifconfig_nic0="DHCP"

to rc.conf should be all you need.

You can of course do this manually by:

   ifconfig nic0 add inet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  netmask 255.255.255.0
   route add default xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

I would then first try to ping an IP address and then a host name. If your ISPs
DNS really is bad, you can change the hostname to localhost to avoid all the
dns timeouts. If it all works, netstat -nr will have a line something like:

Internet:
Destination        Gateway            Flags    Refs      Use  Netif Expire
default            192.168.23.3       UGS         0    12052    wi0

I hope this helps