Date:      Sun, 02 Jul 2006 14:07:22 +0200
From:      yattaran <yattaran@gmail.com>
To:        David J Brooks <daeg@houston.rr.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: portupgrade portupgrade leaves an error....

David J Brooks wrote:
> After running 'portupgrade portupgrade' I am left with the following error
> when I run portversion or portupgrade, or pretty much any program that
> addresses the ports collection:
>
> /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/i386-freebsd6/bdb.so:
> Undefined symbol "db_version"
>
> Any ideas on how to fix it?
>
> David

I fixed this issue a couple of days ago. I googled and read that it was
probably due to having several db4* packages installed (db4, db41 and
db42).

I then removed db4 and db41 (no packages were depending on neither) with
pkg-delete. I was actually surprised to find that I had several db4*
packages installed so I figured I should replace all of them with the
latest (db44).

I then replaced db42 with db44:
portmaster -o /usr/ports/databases/db44 db42-4.2.52_4

Then figured out what depended on db44:
pkg_info -Rr 'db44*'

   Information for db44-4.4.20.2:

   Depends on:
   Required by:
   apr-db42-1.2.7_1
   nicotine-1.0.8_1
   portupgrade-2.1.3.2,2
   py24-bsddb-2.4.3_2
   ruby18-bdb-0.5.9

Rebuild each by running portmaster for each and everyone of those.

Voila! Everything was working perfectly again (including portupgrade) :-)

--
yattaran