Date:      Sat, 27 Sep 1997 05:31:59 -0500
From:      Tony Overfield <tony@dell.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Raise your hand if you know how to make this work.

At 07:23 AM 9/25/97 +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
>> > Note: this is about twice as fast as the standard clock can go; at
>> > the highest divider, it's only capable of 8192 interrupts a second.
>>
>Jamil J. Weatherbee wrote
>> If we are still talking about an 8253 I know you to be wrong here, the
>> frequency varies like 1.9MHz/(1-65535).
>
>This information is from the Linux tier code and from the FreeBSD
>clock divider code for the PC audio driver, and not from the chipset
>documentation, so I'm prepared to be wrong (along with the comments
>in both these drivers).

I think Terry has confused the two "standard" timers.

The "standard clock" timer, on IRQ0, is a 1.193 MHz clock with a
programmable 16-bit divisor that can interrupt as fast as you
would ever want it to.

The "CMOS real-time clock" has a periodic interrupt, on IRQ8, based
on a 32768 Hz clock with a small set of divisors that support
interrupt rates between 2 Hz and 8192 Hz, inclusive, in powers of two.