Date:      Fri, 6 Oct 2006 15:31:53 -0400
From:      "Alex DuBois" <wandns@gmail.com>
To:        <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: WDS / Repeater support?

<snip>
> VAP = virtual ap
>
> It is explained here http://people.freebsd.org/~sam/BSDCan2005.pdf
> and for example here http://madwifi.org/wiki/ngFeatures
>
> Daniel
>
> Alex DuBois napsal(a):
> > What is the vap code?
> >
> > Alex
> >
> > --- Sam Leffler wrote:

> >> want

> >> know

> >> please

> >> There is no WDS support in the system.  It's been
> >> waiting on the vap
> >> code being committed.
> >>
> >> 	Sam

Thanks to everyone for all the help.

I noticed the wi(4) man page says WDS is supported. Is that true for the
Hermes based cards, or am I misunderstaning. I also want to give a big
thanks to all those working on the wireless subsystem. Any idea when VAP
will be commited to current?
Thanks,
Alex

Excerpt:
WI(4)		       FreeBSD Kernel Interfaces Manual
WI(4)

     The wi driver provides support for wireless network adapters based
around
     the Lucent Hermes, Intersil PRISM-II, Intersil PRISM-2.5, Intersil
     Prism-3, and Symbol Spectrum24 chipsets.  All five chipsets provide a
     similar interface to the driver.

     Supported features include 802.11 and 802.3 frames, power management,
     BSS, IBSS, WDS and old-style Lucent ad-hoc operation modes.  Cards
based
     on the Intersil PRISM chips also support a host-based access point mode
     which allows a card to act as a normal access point (with some
assistance
     from the wi driver).  The Lucent Hermes and Symbol Spectrum24 chipsets
do
     not contain this functionality.  The PRISM family of chips do not
support
     the WDS functionality.  All host/device interaction is via programmed
     I/O, even on those cards that support a DMA interface.