Date:      Fri, 26 Nov 1999 19:01:38 -0800
From:      Steve Reid <sreid@sea-to-sky.net>
To:        Marc van Woerkom <van.woerkom@netcologne.de>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Success: Quake 3 DemoTest under FreeBSD with Matrox G200

On Sat, Nov 27, 1999 at 01:49:08AM +0100, Marc van Woerkom wrote:
> Last time I checked, the code started to improve for G200/400 but
> got slower for RIVA (some optimizations to Mesa 3.0 got lost in the
> upgrade to Mesa 3.1). That was one reason why I did not upgrade
> to latest glx sources, as I have just RIVA based cards to test.

I don't have any RIVA based cards to test, only an MGA G200. But I've
been watching the glx-dev list and I don't think there's been much
development on the RIVA front. Nearly all of the development seems to be
on the Matrox cards because their specs are open.

> > With all that taken care of GLX should compile and run without
> > modifications
>
> OK, I will have a look at the latest version. Sounds like the
> CVS version improved. Possibly I have to separate things for Matrox
> and nvidia users.

Again, I haven't tried it with a Riva, so I don't know how well or even
if it will compile for that code.

If my experience with the MGA code is any indication, any problems
should be easily solvable by #ifdef'ing out the Linux-specific parts.

> From the description in LINT I was not sure that MAXMEM overrides
> the values from the memory probe routines, in case they notice
> memory above 64 MB. Did you test it?

I've only tested it on my 64MB machine, "MAXMEM=(56*1024)". From dmesg:
real memory  = 58720256 (57344K bytes)
avail memory = 54362112 (53088K bytes)

I don't see anything in LINT suggesting any probe overriding MAXMEM,
just that you may need to use MAXMEM to override a faulty probe.

> In your running q3, is the glx module used a Linux or a native FreeBSD
> binary? Same question for the X Server - Linux or native?

The GLX module was compiled under FreeBSD using the egcs port
(gcc295). The X server is a FreeBSD binary, from ftp.freebsd.org.

FreeBSD binaries use the FreeBSD-compiled libGL.so, and Linux binaries
use the Linux-compiled libGL.so, exactly as you would expect. They
shouldn't (and apparently don't) care what type of binary the server is
because of the normal X client/server separation.

I'm not sure how that equation will change when direct rendering becomes
available under FreeBSD.

> > The key was to update the Linux libs. Linux user Ralph Giles sent me
> > the libs from his system.
>
> Are these any different from the libraries which are installed by
> ports/emulators/linux_base?

I haven't updated my linux_base since I installed FBSD 3.2-R, but I'm
quite certain linux_base doesn't include the extras required for 3D.

Specificly, all of the 3D stuff requires libGL at a minimum, and some
things require libGLU and libglut. I haven't checked but I don't think
those are included in linux_base. If they are, they'd do software
rendering instead of talking GLX, else they wouldn't work for people who
have no GLX module.

Some things (both Linux and FreeBSD) expect libMesa(GL|GLU|glut), but
I've had no problem just using symlinks to lib(GL|GLU|glut).

It seems that the libGL does have to match the glx.so version in some
way. I think they just need to both be built with an equivalent version
of Mesa so that they both use all of the same data structures. I could
not successfully run Q3 using old Mesa-3.0-compiled Linux libs with a
Mesa_3_2_dev-compiled FreeBSD glx.so, but it worked without a hitch when
Ralph Giles sent me his Mesa_3_2_dev-compiled(I think?) Linux libs.

Mesa 3.2-dev is the stabilizing-for-release version of Mesa 3.1, in case
you're wondering. The unstable development version is now 3.3.