Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 2006 15:50:25 -0700
From:      "Jack Vogel" <jfvogel@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel se7230NH1-E, 6gb memory not working on FreeBSD 6.0

> > Absolutely, its an architecture not a brand name, should call it x86_64
> > as often done in Linux. If you run only a 32bit kernel on that system of
> > yours you're cheating yourself out of performance anyway.
> >
> > slurp down an iso and boot that before you go pulling dimms and such :)
> >
> > Jack
> >

> Okay, I'm doing that now (it will take a while, system is on IP-KVM and
> needs to get a CD-ROM attached to it).
>
> In the meantime, here are a few other questions that are not entirely
> obvious to me:
>
> 1. The system currently runs x86 FreeBSD 6.0.  In the process of switching
> to AMD64 6.1, will I need to recompile everything (apache/etc) or will
> this work okay with x86 32-bit binaries?

Yes, the 64bit system has support for running 32bit apps, I just ran a quick
test and built a test program on x86, tried linking both static and dynamic,
and both worked on an amd64 install.

> 2. Are there any changes to the filesystem structure or can this switch be
> done "in place" without reformatting the filesystems?

Filesystem is not architecture specific, so should have no problem with the
switch.

> Sorry if these questions seem pedantic, I've never done a move from x86 to
> amd64.

Not pedantic at all, just normal good questions :)  Good luck in your switch :)

Jack