Date:      Fri, 22 Aug 2014 12:00:47 -0700
From:      leeoliveshackelford@surewest.net
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   how to install wireless n.i.c. on FreeBSD 9.1

Good morning, dear FreeBSD enthusiasts. I am attempting to install a
wireless network interface circuit on a computer running FreeBSD 9.1. I
have read the very thorough instructions written by Messrs. Marc
Fonvielle and Murray Stokely in the currently posted Chapter 30 of the
FreeBSD Handbook. I did not find in that chapter a specification of the
version or versions of FreeBSD to which it applied. The circuit board is
manufactured by T-LInk, and uses an Atheros integrated circuit I have
followed as closely as possible those instuctions, to no avail. The
printed circuit board is located at slot 4. About it, dmesg.boot reads
only the following: pci40: <network> at device 0.0 (no driver attached).
My interpretation of this message is that the operating system sees that
there is a circuit board in slot 4, and that it has something to do with
networking, and otherwise knows nothing about it. I have checked the
/dev directory, and find listed in it none of the driver files mentioned
in Chapter 30. I had expected to receive error messages for lines in the
configuration files calling for driver files that could not be located,
but the only error message generated was "SYNCDHCP not found." This line
does not occur in dmesg.boot, but in response to the command (I forgot
which command). How do I obtain and install the missing driver files?
Why does the fact that they are missing not generate error notices? Any
and all comments are appreciated. If these questions have already been
answered many times before, please do not flame me. Just let me know
where I should have looked for the answers. Thank you. Lee