Date:      Mon, 5 Apr 2010 11:02:00 -0700
From:      Randi Harper <randi@freebsd.org>
To:        deeptech71@gmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD anti-competitive activities

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 11:56 AM,  <deeptech71@gmail.com> wrote:
> deeptech71@gmail.com wrote:
>> Just as soon as FreeBSD 8.0 came out, I downloaded a boot-only disc
>> image and went off to reinstall FreeBSD (don't ask why). OK, it worked
>> whatsoever. But as it turns out, I wasn't able to boot my Windows XP
>> installation anymore. The system just froze when I tried booting my
>> Windows XP slice. First I thought that the installation damaged the
>> other partitions (someone added buggy code in sysinstall lately?). At
>> that point I didn't dare to boot anything on the disk. I decided to
>> give a try to Hiren's Boot CD, which has loads of warezed
>> slicing/partitioning, recovery and backup tools, and also a loadable
>> Mini Windows XP. I hoped I would be able to find out what happened.
>>
>> But guess what? Neither of the Boot CD tools were able to start up,
>> not even the Mini Windows XP! They all froze just like my Windows XP.
>> But that's just weird. On a whim, I disabled my disk drive in the BIOS
>> settings. And guess what? Both the Mini Windows XP and the tools were
>> able to start because of that. I was able to read the
>> slices/partitions with them, and noticed that all my files on the
>> FAT32 and NTFS slices were intact.
> [...]
>> sysinstall asked something new when I installed 8.0, something like
>> "It is safe to use a disk geometry of 123/45/6789 on modern
>> computers... Would you like to use this disk geometry?", I chose
>> "Yes". Safe my ass. I guess my computer doesn't fit in sysinstall's
>> definition of "modern".
>
> Reinstalling FreeBSD and chosing "No" seems to have revived the Windows
> partition.

I'm not sure why I didn't see the original email in this thread -
maybe I saw the subject and figured it was a troll.

Seriously? FreeBSD anti-competitive activities? I suggest you wear
your tinfoil hat, because they are all out to get you.

It's a problem with sysinstall & libdisk. File a bug. That's generally
how problems are handled, not by claiming there's some sort of
anti-windows conspiracy.

-- randi